Sometimes you need to cook a large bulk meal that will last at least two days and maybe even give you enough left over to freeze for a third day in the future. This is a tasty dish that everyone in my family loves! You can you fresh veggies if you have the time, or if you want to make this as fast as possible frozen will work just as well, but try to find a bag that has chunk potatoes in the mix.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
Fully cooked rotisserie chicken (I used the 3 pound Costco chicken)
4 large potatoes
4 to 5 large carrots
1/2 bag of frozen corn
1/2 bag of frozen peas
3 cans of Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 bag of wide egg noodles
2 cans of hot pasta water (reserved from boiling the noodles)
Onion Powder to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Peel and cube potatoes into 1/2 chunks. Peel and slice carrots. In a pot boil potatoes and carrots until almost fork tender. Add frozen peas and corn to same pot and finish letting potatoes and carrots cook for a few minutes. Drain and put aside.
- While vegetables are cooking cube the rotisserie chicken. Dispose of skin and bones.
- Cook egg noodles following the direction on the bag. Don’t pour out the pasta water when draining the noodles.
- In the now empty vegetable pot bring to a simmer the three cans of cream of chicken soup, two cans of hot pasta water, several large dashes of onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss veggies back into the soup mixture along with chicken and noodles and blend all in the ingredients together.
- Pour into the largest baking dish you have and sprinkle your bread crumbs all over the top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes on the center rack to brown and crisp up the bread crumbs.
If you want to skip all that chopping of veggies feel free to substitute 3 bags of frozen mixed vegetables. Fresh tastes best, but sometimes lazy can save the day! This easily feeds my family of four two dinners. Add in some buttered bread and a big glass of milk and dinner is served.
If you want to see me make this meal from scratch be sure to check out my Youtube video where I make this as well as frozen sausage, egg, and cheese, muffin sandwiches for the weeks breakfasts for my guys.